CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Chloe Slideshow Extravaganza

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My first experience with ignorance.

Well, not my VERY first, but my first related to my child.

I was giving some teacher friends an update on my adoption process, when one of them says,
"So your baby is going to be black?"

Another says, "People will think you are married to a black man."

Yet another says, "Why? Its not like you are adopting from Africa."

I say, "Ethiopia is PART of Africa. What's wrong with being married to a black man?"

~Silence ~ I guess the conversation was over.

6 comments:

A brief bio: said...

Aarrrrggg! Crystal

Diann said...

And people say "Ignorance is bliss." Hopefully they will rethink their stance, evaluate their own prejudices and become part of your support system. I know my plans for adoption have completely made my family more sensitive and aware of some of the things they would have thought and said a year ago.

Bennett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SisterMom said...

I am kind of frightened by the fact that there are educators who don't know Ethiopia is in Africa.

Sandee said...

Amazing! Some people just don't get it. I too, had a neighbor ask me "Is she black?" I said Yes, she said, How Black?

I looked at her quizzically....and said a rich beautiful dark shade of brown.

"Oh".

sigh...

Tania said...

Yep, I've had one of those conversations too! People can be UNBELIEVABLE.
Glad I stumbled onto your blog. I look forward to following your journey.